Thursday, January 2, 2014

sourdough.

in the week before christmas, i put together a sourdough starter, thinking i might give it as a gift to one of bb's brothers...

i ended up not getting my handmade gifts together in time for christmas (tension swatches ARE worth the time when you want to knit a beanie to fit an adult size head...) but i've been getting some good use out of the starter!

i put together my first loaf christmas eve (following this recipe but substituting 1/4 cup of starter for the yeast) and it thankfully rose overnight, just like it should have!



it was super exciting to wake up christmas morning to check on it, and get it in the oven.

once out of the oven...



it had the whole house smelling delicious and most certainly had me salivating!

i ended up making 3 loaves over christmas day and boxing day and there wasn't a single crumb left for the poor chooks!



i used these instructions to make my starter, if you want to give it a go yourself...

i'm so excited because if i look after it, it should last FOREVER! and i can share it too, which i already have to be honest...
i sent my aunty home on boxing day with a margarine container full of starter and a list of instructions. hopefully it works out as deliciously for her as it has for me!

do you bake your own bread? have you ever tried your hand at sourdough? did you make your own starter?

4 comments:

PinkPatentMaryJanes said...

Oh wow, oh WOW! I am SO doing this! Thank you!

Sally said...

So going to give this ago... but I'll wait until I say goodbye to this baby fat :) Looks SO good.

Unknown said...

How great! You're inspiring me to get my own starter going and get baking :)

mybeardedpigeon@gmail.com said...

Oh I might have to try this!